What is Egyptian cotton?
Is it some amazing, ancient secret?
Did illustrious pharaohs sleep on super soft pillow cases?
Were mummies wrapped in 500 count bed sheets?
Read on to discover 5 amazing facts:
- The truth is, Egyptian cotton is NOT actually ancient. As it turns out, commercial production of cotton was introduced in Egypt by Mohammed Ali in 1822.
- Egyptian bedsheets bought in Egypt might not fit your bed. Bed and pillow sizes around the world are not universal, so be sure and bring along a measuring tape!
- The main difference between regular cotton and Egyptian cotton? The fibers are longer. This gives the material its smooth, luxurious feel, and helps prevent pilling over time.
- If Egyptian cotton isn't ancient, what were all those white outfits made of that ancient Egyptians are pictured wearing? The answer: linen, which is made from flaxseed plants.
- The American Civil War in 1861 is responsible for the success of Egyptian cotton! The war stopped the production of American cotton for several years, allowing the Egyptian cotton industry to explode onto the world markets.
There you have it. Five amazing facts about Egyptian cotton.
Are you in the mood for a fresh set of Egyptian cotton sheets? Here are some on Amazon with over 9,000 reviews. I guess they must be good! I haven't tried them myself, but I just might spring for a set...